Friday, 9 October 2026

Delhi

 Yesterday we were treated to a tour of the 'Best Sights' in Old Delhi.  

The day began predictably early and once fuelled up with curry we were off by 07.30.

Almost immediately we took our place in the 3 hour traffic jam leading into the city. Try as I might I couldn't see the attraction, but there again, it might not have been an official 'Sight'.

Very much an official 'Sight' was the India Gate. Built between 1921 and 1931 and designedby Sir Edwin Lutyens, it commemorates the 70,000 Indian soldiers who lost their lives fighting for the British Army in World War One.

It also bears the names of more than 13,516 British and Indian soldiers killed in the Northwestern frontier in the Afghan war of  1919.

You might think that it merited more than a drive round the roundabout it's built on. Delhi traffic had other ideas. This picture is the best I could do through the (moving) coach window.


Next visit was to the Jama Masjid, the largest mosque in India.  I'm afraid I can't tell you what it's like inside as there was a strict dress code for women involving donning a rancid, often-worn,seldom-washed robe . As the men were not required to adopt the obnoxious outfit, I made a stand for the Sisterhood and refused to go in.

In any case, if you really must see inside the mosque then I'm fairly certain that Google will be able to show you. (without the risk of skin disease or discrimination)

Staying with the political theme, we moved on to visit the Raj Ghat, the cremation site and memorial to that old friend of Darwen, Mahatma Gandhi.

An eternal flame burns at one end of the memorial, and his last words are recorded in the marble plinth. 


I know you're itching to hear what pearls of wisdom the ancient former lawyer turned hunger striker/father of the nation uttered.

I can reveal that he wheezed out 'Hey Ram' ( not to be confused with Hey Jude). Look it up.

In other news, we drove past the street that leads to the street where the president lives (underwhelming ) and passed by the Red Fort, UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE SITE . Unfortunately it was on the other side of the motorway so, not a great deal to see.

After lunch, our guide sensing that the coach tour had not been a huge success, made off for his Delhi home, never to be seen again.

But not before he'd broken the news that this morning's start for the airport was a spine chilling 02.30.

Brutal.

I'm writing this, bleary-eyed from Istanbul Airport, which, you may remember from the beginning of this trip is the home of overpriced beer.

It's fitting then, that this is where we part company blogmates, but don't worry, Gullibles will be back at the end of the year. 

Stay safe! 




No comments:

Post a Comment