Friday, 2 October 2026

Ranakpur temple

 This morning we were granted a reprieve from the usual brutal 8am starts, instead only setting off at a frankly tardy 9.15.

It soon became apparent however that the late start was not without cost.

Our target for today was the city of Udaipur  (some 260km or 6 hours drive away), but what with the frequent toilet stops (most bladders on board are over 65) , lunch break and visit to Ranakpur temple, it was nearer to 10 hours before we finally arrived. We're here now, but as it's dark, I can't tell you what it's like.

Anyway, Ranakpur Jain temple. Built in the 15th century, it's famous for its marble pillars. All 1444 of them each one different, although I cannot verify this, having lost interest after the third one. It's made from white marble and the overall effect is like an extravagantly decorated wedding cake. Without the marzipan. Or fruitcake, come to that.





'But what about those Jains?' you ask. Well, as far as I can make out (and it's worth remembering here that I only scraped a grade C in RE) it's a religion based on spiritual purity and non-violence. Strictly vegetarian and avoiding leather, alcohol, garlic and onions it doesn't sound terribly tempting. How they'd manage in Benidorm is beyond me.

In other news, today is a national holiday in India as it's Gandhi's birthday. The government has decided that the best way to celebrate it is by having a country-wide alcohol ban for the day. The Jains will be pleased. Although I'm not sure they're allowed pleasure.


No comments:

Post a Comment