Another early start, another curry themed breakfast.
Today's first stop was the Amber Fort, (UNESCO HERITAGE SITE) built in 1592 by Raja Man Singh I.
Situated on top of a hill, we had two options to reach it: walk up or face the ordeal of riding an elephant. Given that we've ridden on an elephant in Thailand and thus being wise to the wayward nature of the giant beasts, we chose to walk.
It's equally lovely inside too. (Obviously design input from the wives I feel).
Despite how lovely it all is, I wouldn't fancy being one of the chosen twelve, although I suppose it would there'd be more women to help with the housework etc.......
We picked our way back through the elephant effluent and assorted and extremely persistent street sellers to the relative safety of the coach.
A swift lunch stop and we were off again. Next stop: The City Palace (yes, I know we've already visited the City Palace, but this is a different city and a different palace. You'll just have to trust me on this)
This one was built between 1729 -1732. It was used as an administrative centre as well as a royal residence and in fact the current Maharaja of Jaipur still lives here with his family, although we didn't see him . (To be fair, I don't actually know what he looks like, so it's possible that he passed by unnoticed)
Next door to the palace is Jantar Mantar, one of five astronomical observatories in Northern India, built between 1724 - 1730. As an added bonus, it's a UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE SITE.
Among the instruments on display is the world's largest sundial. It's around 90ft tall and tells local solar time with an accuracy of 2 seconds. (Sadly its immense bulk means it's no use as a wristwatch)
There were lots of other astronomical bits and pieces lying around, most of which appeared to have some part to play in forecasting horoscopes.
Now, I don't know about you blogmates, but I've never placed astrology in the scientific sphere.
JB intends to get to the bottom of it and has bought a book to help him.
We await his verdict.















No comments:
Post a Comment