Friday 27 February 2015

Bako foiled

We keep seeing advertisements for Bako National Park. A tropical paradise of a place where you can get close to nature, enjoy a swim in the sea and relax on the pleasant beaches. Here's the poster.



Now, as you know, we have unfinished business with the big nosed monkeys, and the chance to get up close and personal seemed too good to miss.

And so we set off this morning, via a school bus and a buttock-punishing speedboat, keeping a close watch for any love struck warrior intent on bagging my bonce.

On arrival, we were informed that it was too dangerous to swim in the sea due to "marine stingers", and the best beach was closed owing to a sighting of a crocodile.....

Undeterred, (well a bit deterred), we struck out along the jungle trail, waiting to bump into some wildlife.

I saw some crabs, and a monitor lizard (small), but no sign of the big conks, or anything else on the poster come to that.

The trail ended at a crocodile free beach, which was actually very nice.
JB tried climbing some rocks in order to entice the monkeys out of hiding. World this entice you??



Well, whether it would entice you or not, the fact is, it worked!! On the way back to the boat we saw a troop of about 5 of the beasts, but in a manner that is becoming depressingly familiar to me, as soon as I got my camera out, they turned round and presented me with their rear ends. I'm not going to dignify it with a picture. 

I don't know how David Attenborough puts up with it......


No comments:

Post a Comment