Thursday 12 January 2023

Bali High?

Anyone who's seen the frankly marvellous Rodgers and Hammerstein musical South Pacific will be immediately at home with the phrase Bali Hai.
(If you're unfamiliar with this Broadway colossus, I urge you to view it. Singing sailors, women washing men out of their hair. It's got it all)

Anyway once again, I digress. 

Lured by this idea of South Sea loveliness and encouraged by the online photos (see below) we've travelled to Kuta Beach, Bali.


I'm sorry to say readers that far from finding Bali Hai, we are in fact, most definitely in Bali Low.

Where to begin? Endless traffic. Motorbikes mounting the pavements to get round the endless traffic.
And the MOST persistent street sellers I've ever come across. (Not that they've managed to sell me anything, obviously, but still  very annoying).

The Beach is,well, long. And artfully decorated with enormous heaps of trash:


To be fair, it was a lot worse in 2021. That's when they had the Big Clean Up Campaign:


Now I know what you're thinking. All they've done is sweep it into manageable heaps.  
And I suspect you may be right.....
It's just that no-one has managed them yet.

Still, there's always the sunset. 
Sunsets on Bali are (rightly) famed for their beauty, nay glory, and we were determined to get a piece of the action.

We headed to the beach and found a spot between the rubbish mounds.
The tension began to mount as the minutes ticked by.
Would the sunset let us down by being a dud?

My attention, however, was elsewhere.  Next to me on the beach, an elderly man (not JB) was having his toenails clipped by a beach masseuse. I watched in fascinated horror as his elderly trotters got the full treatment. 


Ahhh the unimaginable romance of it all...

Reluctantly  I returned my gaze to the horizon.
The sun was definitely dipping.

And......praise be! It wasn't dud.  





I leave you with a final piece of advice.  Be careful when you're collecting shells. They may not always be what you think...






No comments:

Post a Comment