Thursday 1 December 2011

Ring of Fire

No, Blog-mates, not a reference to the spiciness of the local food, although I will admit there have been one or two incidents....
I´m talking about the many volcanoes dotted around this part of the country. There are 33 in total, of which only 3 are active. And it was with some trepidation that I began my ascent of Volcan Pacaya, one of the "live" ones this afternoon. I needn´t have worried as it turned out.
Our guide, Arthur, wouldn't let us go up to the crater´s edge, claiming that there were clouds of sulphuric acid up there and that in any case, last year´s bumper eruption had all but drained the lava. I´m old enough to recognise a swizz when I see one, and not even Arthur's toasted marshmallow on a stick could quell my disappointment.


To add insult to injury, whilst we were on the allegedly live volcano, we saw another one erupting in the distance. Bah!
 Anyway, here are some pics of the day´s events (apologies for lack of lava)


 


Clouds of steam of sulphuric acid?? You decide.


This one is Volcan Fuego, aka The One That Got Away.



 And here´s one of Arthur, looking distinctly shifty in my opinion, toasting his marshmallows.

No comments:

Post a Comment