Saturday 17 December 2011

To the bat cave!!!

Having endured quite enough of minus 2 degree nights in the Highlands, we shipped off to Lanquin, a small town surrounded by jungle, famed for its bat cave. (I know, I thought it was Gotham City too). We duly arrived at dusk just in time to witness thousands of bats coming out of the cave in search of early evening mosquito tapas. Very, very impressive. But no sign of Comissioner Gordon. Or Robin.

The next day, we visited Semuc Champey, a local beauty spot, famed for the loveliness of its pools and waterfalls.  What better spot to while away an afternoon? Naturally, I signed up like a shot.  Of course, I hadn´t taken into account that before reaching the pools, we had to wade/swim through water filled caves, whilst clutching a lighted candle. I´ll be honest, it wasn´t one of my finest hours, blog-mates, and, although there is photographic evidence, I´m afraid the computer I´m currently using doesn´t recognise the camera. Perhaps later....

Returning to our jungle abode tired, yet relieved to be alive, we retired to the bar for a restorative margharita. Imagine our horror upon returning to the room to find a tarantula sitting in the middle of the floor, bold as brass. I bravely ran to get help, leaving JB to keep watch on the beast.   The hotel porter came to sort it out, muttering things about girls and spiders and rolled up newspapers.  However, he took one look at the beast, whipped out his machete and with cries of "Aaaargh, danger, danger", he chopped it in two.(or possibly four, I wasn´t keeping an exact count)
And so to bed...... Sleep well, blog-mates. And remember, always check under the bed.

1 comment:

  1. Linda,
    do find it in your heart to forgive me for not writing earlier(I am not holding my breath for your forgiveness; you do not understand the world). Please for our sake, can you tell the people you meet that you do not represent the average person living in england. I don't want them to feell sorry for us.
    Gosh I miss you like crazy. Do keep yourself well,for I still need someone to tell me off now and then.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete