Tuesday 13 December 2011

Western Highland Fling

Once I´d got my breath back from my heroic ascent of San Pedro, we set our sights westwards, and arrived eventually in Quetzaltenango (a name which must score at least 200 on a scrabble board), or as the locals call it, Xela. (They don´t have scrabble.)

Xela is in the Western Highlands, and indeed we could see the highest point in Central America, Volcan Tajumulco from there. (Only saw it mind, those climbing days are over)

There's not much to do in Xela and so we were forced to visit the town´s museum. A strange place, the ground floor is filled with things that they weren´t able to sell at a car boot sale. (Old typewriters, mobile phones, marimbas, stuff like that)
 The first floor houses a collection of stuffed beasts, the like of which I have never seen before. Imagine, if you can blog-mates, that the village idiot has been let loose with My First Taxidermy Kit and a room full of roadkill. The expression on the owl´s face in particular will haunt me for many nights to come.
 At this point, I would normally insert a photo to illustrate my point. Luckily for you  photography was not permitted in the museum. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment