Sunday 13 June 2021

Battle re-enactment

Today's outing took us to  Culloden, where in 1746, a band of Highland ruffians took on the British army. It went very badly for them, and by then end of the day some 1300 were dead.

Scottish rebellion ended then,at least until the emergence of the Sottish National Party.

Keen to fully immerse myself in the site, I hoped to stage a re-enactment, but neither ruffians nor Scottish MPs turned up.

Instead, I turned my attention to the Culloden monument, which resembles nothing more than a giant plant pot.

It was as I approached that disaster struck. A cunningly placed stone, presumably left by the retreating Jocks all those years ago, seized its chance and hurled me to the ground.

Bloodied but unbowed,(well quite bowed actually, it did sting a bit) I staggered to my feet, sang the national anthem and limped off.

Here are some scenes from the day. (The drama wasn't fully captured as my phone smashed during the carnage)

Nervous readers should look away now....




The site of the 1746 battle.



The giant flowerpot, (treacherous stone still hidden)


The aftermath. I fear I may never dance the hornpipe again...




No comments:

Post a Comment