Friday 2 December 2022

Angkor wat

 


Here we are then, in Cambodia. Siem Reap to be precise.

Partly to escape the blog ban but mostly to view the magnificent Angkor Wat temple complex.

So famous that they've put it on their flag, Angkor Wat is "the largest religious monument in the world".

(I can't be certain, not having visited them all yet).

It is however a UNESCO world heritage site (like Pontycysyllte Aqueduct, but obviously, not Welsh).

It's also home to a great many monkeys, some of whom tried hitching a ride on my skirt.  

I literally shook them off and headed into the temple.

It's very impressive topped as it is by 5 giant pineapple looking things (I took advice from JB as to the type of fruit)

There was a series of bas-reliefs. The first one  depicted the exciting tale of "The churning of the Sea of Milk" ( I'm guessing you had to be there really)

The second concerned itself with visions of Heaven and Hell ( and they call themselves Buddhist!)

I must say that on the whole I favoured the Heaven bits. Lots of lying around being fed sweets .

As for Hell, the graphics were, I'm afraid, extremely graphic, causing JB at one point to exclaim "Oh I say, that's a bit strong"

Mindful of my readers' weak stomachs the only torture pic I've included shows someone having their hair pulled. But it was probably quite hard.



hair pulling (Centre of pic)


This statue is judging you


And this one.....






No comments:

Post a Comment