Thursday 15 December 2022

Nautical nightmare

 Last night, in a fit of unexplained generosity, JB booked us on a 5 hour snorkeling trip.

A chance to get up close and personal with our fishy friends was how he put it.

How could I refuse?  

And so we boarded our sturdy craft and set off.

Our vessel is the one on the right, not that it makes much difference to you I suspect.

First stop was Monkey Island. Seasoned readers of this blog may well recall that this is where JB met his nemesis last time we were here and ended up needing rabies jabs.

Obviously we gave it a wide berth this time round.....

Onward then, over an increasingly choppy sea (spoiler alert) to the first of an interminable number of snorkeling stops.

I have to admit, I saw plenty of colourful fish and it was all going splendidly. 

Then back on the boat to Maya Beach. (You know, the one in the film surprisingly called The Beach)

It was as we approached the scenic wonder that the trouble began.

A hastily eaten chicken fried rice began to make itself known to me again  and before  I knew it, I was sharing said lunch with the fish population of Maya Beach. 

It didn't half bring the fish in though......

I recuperated on the beach which is really rather lovely until all too soon  it was time to board the boat once more.

The remaining 2 hours of the trip are something of a blur to me  as I was torn between feeding the fish again or crying.

I do know that at one point we stopped to see the luminescent plankton. (I wasn't able to raise my head by now but I'm told that it was very good.)

Eventually we made it back to dry land, a sorrier  (and in some cases lighter) crew than  that which set off.

Here are some of the fish that benefitted from my banquet:







And here's a couple of  pictures of Maya Beach:






2 comments:

  1. The monkeys have gone soft on Monkey Beach where they attacked me last trip. But not on Long Beach where I had to thwack one repeatedly with my beach towel to stop it robbing Linda's rucksack. Cheeky varmint.

    ReplyDelete